Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bush on China, Trade and South Korean Women's Golf

There were a few surprises reading the interview with President Bush in the South China Morning Post. He comes across as much more thoughtful than he's portrayed.

Anyhow, some of the highlights:

On the US relationship with China:

GWB: One reason I call it a complex relationship is that here in America, trade with China is not necessarily universally accepted as good. It is universally accepted as good in this administration. I mean, free and fair trade is good for the world, and I believe it's good for this relationship. But it is a - some in America view the advent of Chinese manufacturing, particularly at the lower end of the economic scale, as direct competition with their own livelihood, thereby making the relationship complex.

Energy. What's very interesting is that if you view China as a market, you want them to become more robust and more prosperous. But in order to do that, China is going to have to have more energy, and as China demands more energy, it creates more global demand relative to a slower growing supply means higher prices for us all

On future of US Foreign Policy:

My worry for America over time is that we've become isolationist and protectionist. I've spoken about this quite frequently. Protectionism will be bad for our own economy and our world economy, in my judgment. Isolationism will create a lot of concern.


On North Korean refugees:

I'm a believer in human dignity and human rights. I discuss it with all leaders. And I am - for example, when it comes to China, we have constantly asked China not to send people back into North Korea. I want to thank the South Korean people for welcoming their brothers and sisters who have been able to escape.

On South Korean Women's Golf:

Bush: You know the thing that amazes me? The South Korean women golfers (laughter). Look at a women's - have you ever looked at the scoreboard?

Q: Yes, sure.

Mr Bush: It's unbelievable.

Q: I don't know -

Mr Bush: Yes, you're supposed to know. If you look at the scoreboard, it's phenomenal. You talk about an excellent athletic program.

Q: It's actually a Korean-born, American-trained.

Mr Bush: You think so? I'm not sure. I know the woman who won the LPGA, is that what it was - won the Open is Korean-born, American-trained. But I'm not so sure -

Q: Mostly they come - like they go to - school in Florida or Arizona, or something like that. So they -

Mr Bush: All of them?

Q: Like, I would say 80 per cent. They come to US. They work out -

Mr Bush: Okay. But they have got a pretty - they must have a young girls' programme that's pretty active too, to get people interested in the first place.

Q: Yes, I think Korean women are much more disciplined than Korean men (laughter).

Ms Perino: That's not just in Korea (laughter).

No comments: