Monday, August 18, 2008

Worthless Lives No. 1: James Tien Pei-chun


A new series in which we look at people who have led utterly worthless lives. First up, leader of Hong Kong's pro-business Liberal Party, James Tien Pui-Chen.

In such a short interview, has any other person ever been so openly, proudly cretinous?

"I was appointed a district councilor for Kwai Ching in 1985, but I didn’t represent the people living there. I represented the businesses as that’s where my factory was.

Even when I was appointed to Legco in 1988, I kept the same stance: look at everything as a capitalist. I didn’t pay too much attention to say, social welfare meetings."

"I don’t care about the poverty gap – other political parties like to talk about it, but I don’t."

"We have to thank the proportional representation of Legco elections – I only needed 15 percent of the votes in New Territories East to win a seat. That’s what I call fair."

Tip o' the hat: hk-magazine

No comments: