Monday, August 4, 2008

Choice and Belief

"Of course, circumstances — where you are born, your neighbourhood, your school and the choices your parents make — have a huge impact. But social problems are often the consequence of the choices people make."

Cameron's use of 'choice' here is interesting. Normally, 'choice' means selecting something from a number of options. Cameron's use of the word reveals his assumptions about life and the extent of his ignorance about growing up in poverty.

To make a choice about the direction you want to take in life, you must be aware of the options open to you. Middle class kids can go home to get advice on anything from homework to their future career- their parents can help plot all the steps and stages necessary to making a good career. In comparison, how can the average working class parent help with GCSE Physics homework or give advice on how to become a lawyer or accountant? Working class kids simply don't have access to the same range or depth of information as their middle class counterparts. Working class kids are not aware of all the options available to them.

Related to this is the implicit belief held by poorer kids that certain jobs are not 'for' them. Be it politics, law or work in the city, such careers are automatically-unconsciously- classified as out of reach. They don't know or see anybody in high positions and have no idea of the steps that need to be taken to reach these high positions. Looking back to my own schooldays, I remember being amazed when a boy in my class declared that he wanted to become an MP. I was amazed because this had simply not appeared in my conscience as an option. I just didn't know I had the choice.

Cameron's speech betrays his naiveté about life and society, about the struggle most people face to simply get on. His speech is lamentable not just because of this, nor just because of the condescension- the sheer Victorian righteousness of it all. But because in the circumstances his remarks are almost an incitement, a goading to violence; "Look at me," he is saying, "I am rich and successful. My life is better than yours . Why aren't you as rich and successful as I am? I am better than you. "

No comments: